The Importance of the Feet
Our feet are the foundation of the body’s energy system. Our body is supported by the two structures at eh end of our lower limbs. We often forget about how much work our feet do and neglect to give them some TLC. There are 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons and over 72,000 nerve endings in one foot. Both feet combined makes up 25% of your body’s total bones.
The ancient Chinese compared the human body to a tree where your arms are the branches, your torso is the trunk, and your feet are the roots. When people age, one of the first things that weakens is their root, resulting in mobility issues and instability.
Why does heavy feet syndrome occur?
- Disturbance in blood circulation due to long hours of keeping legs at a single position like standing or sitting
- Fatigued calves
- Sudden change in the blood circulation (i.e. change in physical activity)
- Iron, magnesium or folate deficiencies.
- Overall body fatigue and low energy
**There are other reasons, these are a few of the most common causes. **
Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) - an antispasmodic that releases tension within the muscular system
Calendula (Calendula officinalis) – an antimicrobial that aids in swollen tissues and promotes wound healing
Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) - an antimicrobial that promotes relaxation by calming the nerves of the nervous system
Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) – an antimicrobial, anti-spasmodic and antifungal detoxing the tissues leaving them feeling refreshed
Rose petals – (Rosa centifolia) – decreases swelling in tissues and gives off an aromatic aroma
1. Heat approximately 3 cups of water to boiling.
2. Place the lavender, chamomile, calendula, rose petals and mugwort (equal parts) into a large pot or canning jar.
3. Once water has boiled, pour water over the herbs. Cover and let steep for 20 minutes. (do not forget to cover or you will lose the aromatic smells of the herbs)
4. Put another pot of water on the boil. You will need enough to fill the soaking container (possibly a gallon or two, depending on the size of your container).
5. Set up your foot soaking area. Place towels underneath the soaking container to absorb any spills. Place the container in front of a sitting place. Place anything within reach that you may want during this experience (i.e. music, reading materials, water or other drinks) or just sit, soak and stare at the wall.
6. Once the herbs have infused, pour the herbs into the container, plant material and water.
7. Add more hot water to fill the container so the water level will cover the feet.
**Be sure to leave enough room in the container to add your legs. If it’s too full, water will spill out once legs are inserted into the container**
8. Test the water with your finger to gauge temperature. When the temperature of the water will not scald you, place your feet in the container.
9. Now take in all the energetic properties of the herbs and soak for 20-30 minutes.
10. Once soaking is complete, dry the feet completely and take note of how you feel after this experience.
Photo Credit: http://krystallighthealingcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Reflexology-Chart-Feet.jpg